I writing this post to let others understand the basics of the SharePoint hierarchy and the Object Model. I know as a developer it can get confusing with the terminologies. This post I would like to address the main areas of the hierarchy and explain their purposes:
The farm is a collection of
- front end web servers – these are the web site or also known as web applications
- application servers – these are the servers that provide the back end services such as searching, office services and etc.
- databases servers – these are the servers that stores the configuration content of the whole farm.
In the SharePoint Object Model the SPFarm class is the first tier of the hierarchy, this class consist of two properties:
- Servers – this property gets all the servers in the farm in a collection of SPServer objects.
- Services – this property gets all the services in the farm in a collection of SPService objects. (more…)